Just a quick thing I did yesterday before taking off for my friend’s house.
A while ago, I made a short series about how not to make a Yume Nikki fangame. It wasn’t that good and not only did I write it in a condescending way, I basically set up readers to set their goals …
Since I re-did so many things (and am currently redoing two concepts—more info on that later) I decided to sort of do-over my Adventure Game/YN Game design articles. This time the advice is more general, less condescending, and should be easier to navigate when more articles are up.
I’m not going to do specific tutorials, since bleet does that perfectly well, and Tutorial Diary will be a better repository. I just want to provide a viewpoint on surreal adventures from a design and theoretical standpoint, and maybe provide helpful ways of thinking about your games in general.
Someday v0.09 is out!
Now with three endings, 32 feats, and all of Zapnef’s nine levels!
There’s still a chance I might make a v0.10 with some tiny additions eventually, but as of v0.09 Someday is officially a finished game.
Thank you so much to everyone who made this game possible!
Here’s Pokemon Belly Version!
I made this simple hack as a gift for someone very special, and now I’m sharing it with you!
Changes from the original (Pokemon Blue):
- Player character is NEC V30-enhanced mecha girl Amihailu, not Red.
- New text, some of which was altered to reflect the sex and cyborgness of the new player character.
- All version exclusives, starters, and Mew appear in the wild.
- New default names to reflect the new player character.
- Move typings altered to reflect later generation counterparts and common sense.
- All maps and event sequences are unchanged.
Really, there’s a little bit of a story behind this hack; on Sunday I looked up the RAM map for Pokemon R/B for a little fun with moves (Charmander with razor leaf?!) and the site linked to a git repository with a disassembled Pokemon RGBY with some utilities and a link to a gameboy assembler.
I decided to try it out, because I don’t have much time before I have to move back to the East Coast (I pack up my PC tonight and I hop on Greyhound on Wednesday afternoon), and I figured I could have a little simple fun and ease myself into learning Z80 assembly to broaden my understanding of computers. I started by editing the images after setting up the assembler and cygwin, and slowly I started changing more of the game data until I had this!
I made the player character Amihailu, because I always wanted to play this classic game as a girl, and I called it “Belly” version for a couple of reasons, but mainly because Amihailu loves bellybuttons! She’s a mechanical girl, enhanced with a 16-bit NEC V30 microcontroller because I drew her sprites before I actually started thinking about even making a hack.
So, consider this a little apology for me not being on the ball for late spring and most of the summer, I promise that more (original) games are coming soon, I just thought I’d share this hack for people who haven’t touched Gen I Pokemon in a while and would like to play as Mimi (or whatever you name her!)
I’ve gotten my cygwin environment set up so I can assemble the pokemon source into a gameboy ROM file.
Just for fun, I’ve made new images for the trainer, so you can play as Amihailu! It’ll be called Pokemon Belly version maybe~
Because Mimi loves bellybuttons!
- I’m not done making games. I’ve just been in a bit of a funk because my muse is not with me at the moment (but I’ll be reunited with her soon)
- Amihailu in Dreamland probably won’t receive an update for some time. I expect it to hit 1.00 in November or December.
- I can’t say when you’ll see any updates to Hell Diary. The design was a bit overly ambitious, so there’s a lot of mismatched parts currently in the game and I’ll have to tackle it somewhere down the line. But that time isn’t now, or in the near future.
- I’ve been advised by a second party to not release early prototypes of new games, so I probably won’t be doing that any longer (sorry to those of you who like collecting 0.00s or things of that sort; but this person had very solid reasons to give me to abandon the practice)
- I’ve been thinking about working harder with the Gosu API to bring more unique games around the community (Did you know the Gosu API supports the steam overlay? I found this out by accident when I was checking on an old snippet where I was attempting to update Pimiko with graphics)
- As a consequence of #5, I probably won’t be working as much with RPG Maker, so I won’t be able to field the kind of support I usually do with the engine. But, there’s still some games in the pipeline that can easily be done with RM.
- I’m not currently collaborating with anyone on any projects. But I might make a second album with M-256 at some point (depending on what she thinks!)
- Uhh, I don’t hate anyone or anything and I’m not annoyed with anyone right now, sorry if I gave that impression by not saying anything for 4 weeks.
I’m mostly alright. Sorry I haven’t said anything in a while, there just isn’t anything to say.